Thursday, June 10, 2010

School Lunch Wednesday 6/8: Twin Taco

The menu reads as follows: Twin Taco, Turkey Taco Meat, Cheddar Cheese, Lettuce & Salsa, Fruit.

What they got: Two hard-shell tacos, turkey meat, cheddar cheese, smooth (?) salsa, lettuce w/tomato and a banana


Another twin taco meal with pre-seasoned turkey taco meat. I'm still not sure about this one but I do know I would feel a whole lot more comfortable if I knew they were using fresh ground turkey instead of the pre-packaged stuff.

Vegetables are almost non-existent (I don't count lettuce as a vegetable), but make the turkey from scratch and you can add onions, garlic, carrots, celery, peppers or whatever you feel like or have on hand. Nutritionally this meal can't possibly satisfy a growing body. If you are a nutritionist out there and think otherwise, please feel free to comment and inform me. The banana by far is the most nutritionally packed and is  a good source of dietary fiber, vitamin C, potassium and manganese, and a very good source of vitamin B6.

As for the rest of meal...I think we can do better! 

6 comments:

  1. At first glance this meal looks okay. Then I looked again and I have to agree.
    Where are the onions the other veg in the turkey. I myself would have added onion, carrot, garlic, peppers, and celery. Pinto Beans on the side, not from a can, too much salt. Bet that turkey was full of salt as was the taco shells. The sauce looks like ketchup. The banana looks good and the salad actually looks good too, it isn't all iceburg.
    They are trying. Much better than Mrs. Q's. Not as good as the Mount's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I count lettuce. I'm not fond of the stuff myself but it definitely counts. It looks like romaine too. The banana is in the way but there are tomatoes there too, right?

    What's the ketchup for? I'm very confused on that one. I'm in NJ too and have never had ketchup on a taco.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog has been most informative. School ends next week, will you be taking a break?

    There's the summer lunch program in Hoboken, government funded, don't know if you want to take that on too. Just thought I'd mention it.

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dur. Ignore me. I just re-read and that's not ketchup, it's salsa. We eat the fresh, chunky stuff here so I didn't recognize it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No worries Shannon. I'm still not quite sure what the red stuff is. Looks like ketchup but tastes like salsa?

    @Lynn- Yes, Ive been wondering about the summer and what to do. I'm hoping we will be working on setting up the Wellness Committee for Hoboken. Im sure Ill check out the Summmer Lunch Program as well though. I do know that this program is offered by City and not the school district.

    ReplyDelete